Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
You don't appear to be registered. Click here to register
Search the forums:

Oregon R/C Rock Crawlers » Non-Crawler Tech Talk » Non-Crawler vehicles » Go Fast and Jumping R/C's! » TA01/TA02/DF01 Lancia Rally

Go Fast and Jumping R/C's! Place for nitro, on-road, buggy or something freakishly fast

Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Dumptruck
Virus = Very Yes

Default TA01/TA02/DF01 Lancia Rally

This build started as a want for something similar to my friend's Tamiya TA02 Celica. We had been running road courses with our M03s for a while and just wanted more variety.

I had some leftover TA02 stuff from when i was really heavy into them, and i also purchased an inexpensive F150 Prerunner roller. I also bartered for a Tamiya Super Manta Ray 4wd buggy and sourced alot of this car from it. As a Tamiya fan, i love building with Tamiya stuff, especially taking parts that were never meant to go together, and building a "factory" car from it, not that this car was ever produced, it looks like something that easily could have been.

Im curious, if anyone knows if this configuration of parts was ever offered, let me know, would be sweet if i built a car and didnt even realize it.

So i started with the regular TA02 Prerunner chassis and built it into a sedan/rally using al the red gear boxes and all that stuff, basically building a Skyline. I bought a Lancia Delta body for it and when i mounted it up, the wheel base was just a touch short. The rear wheels wouldnt center quite right in the fender. So i decided to try swapping out to the LWB Manta Ray chassis and flip the rear Aarms over to shorten the wheelbase and viola, it happened to set it just right. Also started looking pretty unique with the Manta chassis and red gearbox parts.

That night when i was thinking about what else i needed to do, i looked over at all the black gearboxes from the Manta Ray and thought, hey wouldnt it be cool if i made this whole car out of black tamiya plastic parts. I spent the next while gathering the list of stuff that turned this car into what it is currently.

Tamiya Cars stolen from:
TA02 Humvee front and rear shock towers
Super Manta Ray chassis (DF-01) / front and rear black gearboxes
TA01 front and rear A-Arms
TA02 F-150 Shocks and springs
Manta Ray black steering knuckles
Even a Humvee Black motor mount ( i almost used my red one for the sake of, no one would ever see it so they would think it was all black)
TT-01 Tamiya TRF CVDs (a bunch of people told me they dont work on TA02s, they were wrong...)

Soon to come on this car are much needed THICK sway bars. Im running real soft oil and springs, so there is TONS of body roll, i like how much travel the car has, and i dont want stiff springs. So im retrofitting my Tamiya 801XT Sway bars to fit, suprisingly easy and required nothing more than a little tighter bend and a trim. They are not installed yet, but will be soon.

I didnt take pics of the cars i started with unfortunately, but heres what this car was made from.
DF-01 Super Manta Ray

F150

Other parts i had laying around in my tamiya box, / bought from a couple members here.

So hers the pics.
Overview of the chassis layout. This chassis also moves the motor and rear gearbox about an inch back from the regular TA02 sedans, so that will be interesting to compare.

Underside of the chassis.

Full droop. I painted the Lancia body as the Box art suggests. The stickers were very time consuming to layout, some fluid or some kind of transfer aid would be nice the next time i try something like this. I tore a few of them and repaired them as best i could, but the body was bought to be run, so once its scratched up, it wont matter.

Full bump, tons of wheel travel for a sedan.

Ride height

So right now for gear im running a VXl ESC, Castle 5700kv motor, Spektrum 120oz .08@60deg. servo and a Spektrum DX2.0
I put in the 69t spur with the 21t pinion, should be 8.01:1 final drive and its a little scary. It was 19/stock spur and not very fast, i should have gone 21t with the stock spur for 8.56:1, and i might do that soon. I dont ever plan on running anything but 2s, but right now its doing probably 40ish, id rather be around 33-35mph top speed. Everything still needs a little fine tuning, this car has only ran once.

I have HPI wheels and tires on there for now, im getting some Tamiya Rally Blocks and carbon wheels pretty soon so i can try it in the dirt. Id really like to take it to PRCR and run it for practice sometime. I also would like to get some Traxxas 1/16 rally tires for it, i liked how they felt and had a nice balance of slip and grip. I cant stand plastic drift tires either, they sound like ass, the traxxas tires were pretty quiet. Bert, driving your rally is what made me want those tires for this.

Also forgot to mention, im running a ball diff in the rear (thanks 87GL) and a gear diff in the front built with the thick grey Tamiya Anti Wear grease, almost feels like a ball diff in the front. Awesome, thanks for learnin that stuff to me Schlabinski.

Last edited by Dumptruck; 01-21-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Flowmastered87GL
Its an XC, not a CC!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Flowmastered87GL

I like it... I would be interested to see if you could build some CF shock towers to put on longer shocks for even more travel

If you want to get it sideways easy wrap a strip of electrical tape around the middle of the tires. Ghetto drifting!!
RC4WD K2-6 6x6 Dodge TRex
RC4WD Hercules 8x8
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Toyofast
I'm up to something....

Mitch... I think it looks awesome!!!
Toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Flowmastered87GL
Its an XC, not a CC!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Flowmastered87GL

Those rear arms look like TA01 parts to me... so thats why you needed to use the long chassis to make it fit. I find it odd as I look closer that the front tie rods are non-adjustable My R32 Skyline (TA01) had adjustable ones.
RC4WD K2-6 6x6 Dodge TRex
RC4WD Hercules 8x8
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
BBCorvette18Punk
Watching Twilight again...

that looks sweet mitch.
BBCorvette18Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
BigD
Watching Twilight again...

Kinda reminds me of the old Johnny Cash song "One piece at a time"
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #7
schlabinski
Taking fivever...

I like it Mitch! It looks totally factory. I look forward to seeing it in action tomorrow.
schlabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
notagain
また赤やわら ならな屋

Very nice work
notagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
angrymelon
I made it up a curb! LOL!

I saw this running on the video of the "Secret" business park. Your rig looks awesome! It looks like it jumps really well and the suspension looks to be working perfect!

Do you happen to know how long are the TA02 shocks are from eye to eye?

-melon
angrymelon is offline   Reply With Quote